In Allegheny County there is 1 residential Fiber provider covering 85.36% of the county. The average home can get speeds up to 665 Mbps. Note that we may have a financial relationship with some of the providers below. This does not influence rankings, and helps us provide high-quality detailed information for free.
Fiber Internet Service Provider in Allegheny County
To avoid wasting your time, providers with less than 1% coverage in Allegheny County are not shown.
Allegheny County Satellite TV & Internet Providers
DISH Satellite TV
N/A: Call to bundle.
DIRECTV Satellite TV
Not sure whether to choose Dish or DIRECTV? For most people most of the time we recommend DISH. But click here to learn more.
HughesNet Satellite Internet
Where in Allegheny County is fiber internet available?
Fiber Internet Availability Key
Fiber is available in 85.36% of Allegheny County. Areas in green have fiber internet service, where areas in yellow or red may not. The most widely available provider is Verizon. Call one of the companies with service in Allegheny County above to see who has service at your home.
How fast is fiber internet in Allegheny County?
The map below shows maximum fiber internet speeds by area in Allegheny County.
Fiber Internet Speed Key
The average Allegheny County home can get up to 665 Mbps on their fiber internet plan. The fastest fiber download speed in the county is 10,000 Mbps, which less than 1% of residents can get. Some homes and apartments do not have access to these speeds. On the slower end, for example, less than 1% of homes can only purchase plans up to 20 Mbps. See the internet provider details below for info about their speed and coverage in Allegheny County.
Fiber internet speeds tend to be faster in the southwest parts of Allegheny County, and slower in the north areas of the county.
Is fiber the fastest internet I can get in Allegheny County?
The fastest internet for you may vary based on where in Allegheny County you live. In general, cable competes most often with fiber in the county.
- Fiber is the fastest internet type for 1.88% of Allegheny County homes.
- Cable is fastest for 97.58% of the county.
- DSL is fastest for less than 1%.
- Fixed wireless is fastest for less than 1%.
- Satellite internet may be the only option for less than 1% of Allegheny County homes.
Fiber Providers in Depth
Below you'll find which TV and internet providers offer service in Allegheny County, along with details on where in Allegheny County and at what speeds.
Verizon Fiber in Allegheny County, PA
Verizon fiber coverage
About 84.12%, or 1,029,100 people, have Verizon fiber internet available to them in the county. The company covers the entire Allegheny County area. Verizon is one of the largest internet service providers internet service providers in the US, with internet service available in much of Allegheny County.
Verizon fiber download speeds
Verizon is below average when comparing download speeds to all other internet providers in Allegheny County. Versus other fiber providers in the area, Verizon fiber is below average. There are 2 different maximum speeds throughout Allegheny County. The fastest plan anyone in Allegheny County can order from Verizon goes up to 940 Mbps, the slowest package only goes up to 150 Mbps, and the county-wide average maximum speed for Allegheny County customers is up to 617 Mbps.
Show all download speeds
- 59.1% up to 940.0 Mbps
- 40.9% up to 150.0 Mbps
Verizon fiber upload speeds
In Allegheny County download speeds tend to be than upload speeds for Verizon fiber. Compared to other ISPs, Verizon is below average where upload speeds are concerned, and below average compared to other Allegheny County fiber providers. Verizon offers 2 different upload speeds across the county, so your internet plan's upload speed may vary by neighborhood. The fastest upload speed available to anyone from this ISP in Allegheny County is up to 880 Mbps. Some customers have slower plan choices, which only go up to 150 Mbps. On average, Verizon customers can get speeds up to 582 Mbps.
Show all upload speeds
- 59.1% up to 880.0 Mbps
- 40.9% up to 150.0 Mbps
Allegheny County Fiber by Area
This information is most helpful to those looking for homes or considering moving to Allegheny County or any of the areas nearby.
How does fiber internet in Allegheny County compare to the rest of Pennsylvania?
Fiber internet speeds in Allegheny County are slower versus the average speeds in Pennsylvania: 979 Mbps in Pennsylvania versus 665 Mbps in the county. The state has similar fiber availability compared to the county. Average fiber coverage in Pennsylvania is 94.97% versus 85.36% in Allegheny County.
What zip codes have fiber internet?
Fiber internet coverage varies by zip code and neighborhood. Some examples in or around Allegheny County are shown below. You can enter any zip code here to see TV and internet providers by zip code.
What does fiber internet look like in other counties?
Below are counties nearby and with similar populations. This comparison can be useful if living somewhere with fast internet is important to you.
- Washington County, PA: less fiber coverage, slower speeds
- Westmoreland County, PA: less fiber coverage, faster speeds
- Beaver County, PA: less fiber coverage, faster speeds
- Butler County, PA: less fiber coverage, faster speeds
- Hancock County, WV: less fiber coverage, slower speeds
- Armstrong County, PA: less fiber coverage, faster speeds
- Brooke County, WV: less fiber coverage, slower speeds
- Fayette County, PA: less fiber coverage, faster speeds
- Jefferson County, OH: less fiber coverage, slower speeds
- Greene County, PA: less fiber coverage, faster speeds
Counties with Similar Populations
- Franklin County, OH: less fiber coverage, faster speeds
- Hennepin County, MN: less fiber coverage, faster speeds
- Oakland County, MI: less fiber coverage, faster speeds
- Orange County, FL: less fiber coverage, faster speeds
- Cuyahoga County, OH: less fiber coverage, faster speeds
- Travis County, TX: less fiber coverage, faster speeds
- Fairfax County, VA: more fiber coverage, faster speeds
- Contra Costa County, CA: less fiber coverage, faster speeds
- Hillsborough County, FL: more fiber coverage, slower speeds
- Salt Lake County, UT: less fiber coverage, faster speeds