The map below shows the political leanings of people in and around Wayne County. Darker red areas have almost entirely Republican voters, dark blue areas vote mostly for Democrats, and areas in lighter shades or in light purple are areas where the vote is usually split between parties.
Wayne County tends to be very democratic based on voting results in recent elections. Compared to other nearby counties, Wayne County has more democratic voters. Compared to the nation as a whole, Wayne County leans more democratic.
Highly educated populations with bachelor’s degrees or higher tend to vote for more liberal candidates. In Wayne County, 22.91% of all adults have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher. Educated women are far less likely to vote for conservatives, and in Wayne County women make up 51.88% of the population.
Older Americans tend to vote more conservatively. Members of the Boomer and Silent generations (born 1928-1964) more often vote for republicans while GenX, Millennials (born 1965-1996) and younger generations consistently support democrats. The median age in Wayne County is 38.3, which is older than the national median age of 38.1.
Is Wayne County a political battleground? Across all types of political contests in Wayne County, including state, local and presidential elections, races come within five percentage points 4% of the time.
Note: Federal, local, and state elections are weighed based on the recency of the election and the importance most voters assign to each seat.
- Oakland County, MI: more conservative voters
- Macomb County, MI: more conservative voters
- Washtenaw County, MI: more conservative voters
- Monroe County, MI: more conservative voters
- Livingston County, MI: more conservative voters
- St. Clair County, MI: more conservative voters
- Lapeer County, MI: more conservative voters
- Lucas County, OH: more conservative voters
- Lenawee County, MI: more conservative voters
- Genesee County, MI: more conservative voters
Counties with Similar Populations
- Bexar County, TX: more conservative voters
- Broward County, FL: more conservative voters
- Santa Clara County, CA: more liberal voters
- New York County, NY: more liberal voters
- Alameda County, CA: more liberal voters
- Tarrant County, TX: more conservative voters
- Philadelphia County, PA: more liberal voters
- Middlesex County, MA: more conservative voters
- Suffolk County, NY: more conservative voters
- Sacramento County, CA: more conservative voters
All Local Stats
No other site shows detail at this level for free. We are able to keep this site free by receiving a small commission from the referring links below if you book, rent, or request a lead at no cost to you. Please share or cite this page if you aren't able to otherwise support our work.
Map interface © Mapbox © OpenStreetMap Map data and content © bestneighborhood