The map below shows the political leanings of people in and around Middlesex County. Darker red areas have almost entirely Republican voters, dark blue areas vote mostly for Democrats, and areas in lighter shades or in light purple are areas where the vote is usually split between parties.
Middlesex County tends to be democratic based on voting results in recent elections. Compared to other nearby counties, Middlesex County has more democratic voters. Compared to the nation as a whole, Middlesex County leans more democratic.
Highly educated populations with bachelor’s degrees or higher tend to vote for more liberal candidates. In Middlesex County, 55.31% of all adults have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher. Educated women are far less likely to vote for conservatives, and in Middlesex County women make up 51.12% of the population.
Older Americans tend to vote more conservatively. Members of the Boomer and Silent generations (born 1928-1964) more often vote for republicans while GenX, Millennials (born 1965-1996) and younger generations consistently support democrats. The median age in Middlesex County is 39.6, which is older than the national median age of 38.1.
Is Middlesex County a political battleground? Across all types of political contests in Middlesex County, including state, local and presidential elections, races come within five percentage points 2% of the time.
Note: Federal, local, and state elections are weighed based on the recency of the election and the importance most voters assign to each seat.
- Suffolk County, MA: more liberal voters
- Norfolk County, MA: more conservative voters
- Essex County, MA: more conservative voters
- Worcester County, MA: more conservative voters
- Hillsborough County, NH: more conservative voters
- Rockingham County, NH: more conservative voters
- Plymouth County, MA: more conservative voters
- Providence County, RI: more liberal voters
- Bristol County, MA: more conservative voters
- Bristol County, RI: more liberal voters
Counties with Similar Populations
- Philadelphia County, PA: more liberal voters
- Suffolk County, NY: more conservative voters
- Sacramento County, CA: more liberal voters
- Alameda County, CA: more liberal voters
- New York County, NY: more liberal voters
- Bronx County, NY: more liberal voters
- Palm Beach County, FL: more conservative voters
- Nassau County, NY: more conservative voters
- Hillsborough County, FL: more conservative voters
- Wayne County, MI: more liberal voters
All Local Stats
No other site shows detail at this level for free. We are able to keep this site free by receiving a small commission from the referring links below if you book, rent, or request a lead at no cost to you. Please share or cite this page if you aren't able to otherwise support our work.
Map interface © Mapbox © OpenStreetMap Map data and content © bestneighborhood