The map below shows the political leanings of people in and around Hillsborough County. Darker red areas have almost entirely Republican voters, dark blue areas vote mostly for Democrats, and areas in lighter shades or in light purple are areas where the vote is usually split between parties.
Hillsborough County tends to be slightly democratic based on voting results in recent elections. Compared to other nearby counties, Hillsborough County has more democratic voters. Compared to the nation as a whole, Hillsborough County leans more democratic.
Highly educated populations with bachelor’s degrees or higher tend to vote for more liberal candidates. In Hillsborough County, 32.25% of all adults have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher. Educated women are far less likely to vote for conservatives, and in Hillsborough County women make up 51.17% of the population.
Older Americans tend to vote more conservatively. Members of the Boomer and Silent generations (born 1928-1964) more often vote for republicans while GenX, Millennials (born 1965-1996) and younger generations consistently support democrats. The median age in Hillsborough County is 38.0, which is younger than the national median age of 38.1.
Is Hillsborough County a political battleground? Across all types of political contests in Hillsborough County, including state, local and presidential elections, races come within five percentage points 41% of the time.
Note: Federal, local, and state elections are weighed based on the recency of the election and the importance most voters assign to each seat.
- Pinellas County, FL: more conservative voters
- Pasco County, FL: more conservative voters
- Manatee County, FL: more conservative voters
- Hernando County, FL: more conservative voters
- Polk County, FL: more conservative voters
- Hardee County, FL: more conservative voters
- Sarasota County, FL: more conservative voters
- Sumter County, FL: more conservative voters
- DeSoto County, FL: more conservative voters
- Citrus County, FL: more conservative voters
Counties with Similar Populations
- Nassau County, NY: more liberal voters
- Cuyahoga County, OH: more liberal voters
- Palm Beach County, FL: more liberal voters
- Orange County, FL: more liberal voters
- Oakland County, MI: more liberal voters
- Bronx County, NY: more liberal voters
- Franklin County, OH: more liberal voters
- Allegheny County, PA: more liberal voters
- Hennepin County, MN: more liberal voters
- Sacramento County, CA: more liberal voters
All Local Stats
No other site shows detail at this level for free. We are able to keep this site free by receiving a small commission from the referring links below if you book, rent, or request a lead at no cost to you. Please share or cite this page if you aren't able to otherwise support our work.
Map interface © Mapbox © OpenStreetMap Map data and content © bestneighborhood