The map below shows the political leanings of people in and around Cuyahoga County. Darker red areas have almost entirely Republican voters, dark blue areas vote mostly for Democrats, and areas in lighter shades or in light purple are areas where the vote is usually split between parties.
Cuyahoga County tends to be democratic based on voting results in recent elections. Compared to other nearby counties, Cuyahoga County has more democratic voters. Compared to the nation as a whole, Cuyahoga County leans more democratic.
Highly educated populations with bachelor’s degrees or higher tend to vote for more liberal candidates. In Cuyahoga County, 31.56% of all adults have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher. Educated women are far less likely to vote for conservatives, and in Cuyahoga County women make up 52.33% of the population.
Older Americans tend to vote more conservatively. Members of the Boomer and Silent generations (born 1928-1964) more often vote for republicans while GenX, Millennials (born 1965-1996) and younger generations consistently support democrats. The median age in Cuyahoga County is 41.0, which is older than the national median age of 38.1.
Is Cuyahoga County a political battleground? Across all types of political contests in Cuyahoga County, including state, local and presidential elections, races come within five percentage points 6% of the time.
Note: Federal, local, and state elections are weighed based on the recency of the election and the importance most voters assign to each seat.
- Geauga County, OH: more conservative voters
- Lake County, OH: more conservative voters
- Lorain County, OH: more conservative voters
- Medina County, OH: more conservative voters
- Summit County, OH: more conservative voters
- Portage County, OH: more conservative voters
- Wayne County, OH: more conservative voters
- Stark County, OH: more conservative voters
- Trumbull County, OH: more conservative voters
- Erie County, OH: more conservative voters
Counties with Similar Populations
- Orange County, FL: more conservative voters
- Oakland County, MI: more conservative voters
- Franklin County, OH: more conservative voters
- Allegheny County, PA: more conservative voters
- Hennepin County, MN: more liberal voters
- Hillsborough County, FL: more conservative voters
- Travis County, TX: more liberal voters
- Fairfax County, VA: more liberal voters
- Nassau County, NY: more conservative voters
- Contra Costa County, CA: more liberal voters
All Local Stats
No other site shows detail at this level for free. We are able to keep this site free by receiving a small commission from the referring links below if you book, rent, or request a lead at no cost to you. Please share or cite this page if you aren't able to otherwise support our work.
Map interface © Mapbox © OpenStreetMap Map data and content © bestneighborhood